Opera has, arguably, the most flexible and the most specific privacy and cookie control of all browsers.
It gives you options that range from blocking referral websites to deleting cookies at the end of each visit and allows you to manage cookies for specific websites.
It even allows for rejecting automatic redirection from a website — although most websites might do that for perfectly good reasons. Disabling automatic redirection can be impractical most times but it does allow that extra control over what sites you visit.
How to enable cookies in Opera
The settings have been simplified as Opera now supports site-specific preferences, which allow you to change your cookie settings on a per-site basis.
It's as easy as choosing the domain in which you wish to create a site preference. Here's how:
Go to the Opera window, and at the top select 'Tools'.
From here, select 'Preferences," then click on 'Advanced.'
Select 'Accept cookies' or 'Accept cookies only from the sites I visit.'
Make sure 'Delete new cookies when visiting Opera' is not ticked.
Handily, Opera's browser gives you the option of simply clearing the websites and third-party cookies at the end of your visit. This will not delete any cookies previously installed.
Other Opera settings for cookies
Opera also has five manageable options for the general treatment of cookies. They are Allow all, Prompt to accept, Block all, Block only third-party cookies, and Delete new cookies at the end of a session.
It should be noted that Opera refuses to accept all "invalid cookies," which it defines as "being set for top-level domains: domains ending in .com, .net, and .org, among others. Such cookies are considered invalid or illegal and are blocked because any website could read such a cookie's contents, and the only use for such cookies is to track surfers across the web."
How to manage site referrals and redirects in Opera
For controlling your preferences for site referrals in Opera, use the following steps:
- Go Settings > Preferences > Advanced > Network
- Select "Send Referrer Information." If you wish to keep the last website you visited secret from your next visited website, uncheck this option.
Disabling automatic redirects
Turn off "Enable Automatic Redirection" to prevent a website from redirecting your browser to another website address.
Just be aware that site redirects can happen for a valid reason and occur fairly often as a page or a whole website may have moved to a new address.
Redirects are generally only a security risk if the site has been hacked and redirects you to a malicious site. In this case, having a good security system installed on your computer will minimize any risk.
How to disable or clear cookies in Opera
You may prefer to disable or clear your Opera cookies in order to keep your online browsing habits private. Here's how.
How to disable Opera cookies
1. In the top left corner, click Opera.
2. Go to Settings and select Preferences.
3. Click on the Advanced tab.
4. On the left panel click on Cookies and select Never accept cookies.
To clear Opera cookies
1. Click on Opera, scroll down to Settings, and click Delete Private Data...
2. In the pop-up window select Delete session cookies and Delete all cookies, then press the Delete button.
3. To delete a specific cookie, click on Manage Cookies.
4. Select the website you want to delete cookies from and click the Delete button.