All About Cookies is an independent, advertising-supported website. Some of the offers that appear on this site are from third-party advertisers from which All About Cookies receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear).
All About Cookies does not include all financial or credit offers that might be available to consumers nor do we include all companies or all available products. Information is accurate as of the publishing date and has not been provided or endorsed by the advertiser.
The All About Cookies editorial team strives to provide accurate, in-depth information and reviews to help you, our reader, make online privacy decisions with confidence. Here's what you can expect from us:
- All About Cookies makes money when you click the links on our site to some of the products and offers that we mention. These partnerships do not influence our opinions or recommendations. Read more about how we make money.
- Partners are not able to review or request changes to our content except for compliance reasons.
- We aim to make sure everything on our site is up-to-date and accurate as of the publishing date, but we cannot guarantee we haven't missed something. It's your responsibility to double-check all information before making any decision. If you spot something that looks wrong, please let us know.
A virtual private network, or VPN, is a great way to protect your personal information while browsing online. And because it masks your IP address, a VPN can also be used to circumvent internet restrictions from government or other entities. There are many different VPNs available. Each software solution has different pros and cons, along with different costs for its services. There are also free VPNs available, but they may have limited offerings.
When you’re looking for a VPN solution, you should understand what features are important and necessary to you. If you’re traveling internationally but want to access streaming services in the United States, you’ll want to make sure your VPN can support streaming services.
If you are in a foreign country and trying to bypass government censorship there, you want to make sure that your VPN has kill switch functionality to keep your data safe even if your VPN loses connection.
If you’re looking for a virtual private network and don’t mind paying for it, NordVPN is a recommended option. So how much does NordVPN cost and how can it help you?
Can I use NordVPN for free?
Best NordVPN plan
NordVPN price FAQ
How much does NordVPN cost?
NordVPN offers three different tiers of pricing based on features needed. Within these three tiers, NordVPN offers better pricing for longer-term commitments. A two-year contract gets the best pricing, but you can also select a year plan or a month plan.
NordVPN price per plan
|Data breach scanner|
|1 TB cloud storage|
|Learn more||View Plan Details||View Plan Details||View Plan Details|
The tiers include Standard, Plus, and Complete. Pricing differs significantly if you are paying month to month versus for two years up front. For example, a Complete subscription, paid up front for two years, is less than half the price of that same Complete package with a month-to-month commitment.
NordVPN offers these discounts as an incentive to purchase a one- or two-year subscription commitment.
How can I pay for NordVPN?
NordVPN offers a few different ways to pay for your subscription, including:
- Debit and credit card
- Amazon Pay
- Google Pay
- ACH bank transfer
- Cryptocurrencies (bitcoin, ethereum, and more through CoinGate)
Note that NordVPN may accept PayPal in some cases, but isn't specific about when you can use it. So be sure to have an alternate payment method ready just in case.
Can I cancel my NordVPN subscription?
It's easy to cancel your NordVPN subscription if you need to.
Whether you pay for a multi-year subscription upfront or you’re on the month-to-month plan, you can easily cancel by managing your auto renewals in the billing section of your account. If you cancel during a one- or two-year subscription, you'll have access to your NordVPN account until your paid subscription is scheduled to expire.
Can I use NordVPN for free?
NordVPN does not offer a free option. However, when paying for a two-year contract with NordVPN, you receive three months free. NordVPN does offer a 30-day money-back guarantee that’s risk-free, so if you’re not satisfied with the VPN’s performance, they can receive your money back.
There are many different VPNs, some of which offer a free subscription. When exploring these options, make sure that the VPN has the features you most need.
Is NordVPN good?
NordVPN has a robust set of features to help protect your data, and it is a great VPN option if you’re willing to pay for the service. NordVPN has many useful features to help you stay safe when online.
With NordVPN’s standard plan, users get a robust server network in countries around the world. All VPN plans include malware protection, a fast VPN network, and tracker and ad blocking. With NordVPN, you can also connect up to 6 devices.
When using NordVPN, you won’t have to worry about higher-than-normal VPN data usage. The VPN service only uses a minimal amount of bandwidth to encrypt your data. NordVPN uses AES-256 encryption, which is considered the best encryption available for a VPN.
NordVPN includes a variety of features to help users. Here are a few of the best features:
- Kill switch: The kill switch feature ensures that your data is protected if by any chance the VPN is disconnected during use.
- Dark web monitoring: NordVPN scans the dark web for any of your personal information and notifies you when any information is found on the dark web.
- VPN speed: We put Nord through a speed test to see whether it slowed our internet connection down significantly, and, while it wasn’t the fastest VPN we’ve tested, we didn’t notice any extreme performance issues.
- Streaming service support: NordVPN offers specialty servers for unblocking services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu. We tested it out and Nord unblocked Netflix libraries in the U.K., Canada, and Australia with no problems.
- No-logs policy: NordVPN does not track your usage or create or store any logs about your activities.
- Simultaneous connections: If you need a VPN connection for more than one device, you can connect up to five devices to Nord at the same time.
- Double-layer protection: Mask your IP twice to ensure that your information is safe.
- Split tunneling: This feature allows users to use a VPN for some sites, but users can also mark websites safe for use without the VPN.
- Threat protection: This feature helps block dangerous or risky websites, block unwanted ads, unnecessary tracking, and more. It also helps mitigate any malware risks.
- Compatibility: NordVPN works on iOS and Android devices, Windows PCs, macOS, and Linux. You can also find a NordVPN app for AndroidTV and a browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge.
NordVPN’s robust list of features can help keep your information protected and help you avoid malware too.
Best NordVPN plan
All of NordVPN’s plans are sufficient to protect your online browsing. However, the Complete plan has the most robust protection with the NordPass password manager and data breach scanner as well as the NordLocker encrypted cloud storage.
Overall, the difference in price is not significant between any plan. Just remember that NordVPN discounts the overall cost if you pay for one or two years instead of month to month.
NordVPN server locations
NordVPN boasts more than 5,000 servers spread across 59 countries. Finding a VPN with many server locations provides options when trying to access content in other countries or when a specific server is not working.
NordVPN also offers a few server options that they label as “Specialty Servers,” which include:
- Onion over VPN: Enhances privacy by using The Onion Router (ToR) and the VPN
- Double VPN: Sends data through two VPN servers as opposed to one
- P2P: Best for large file sharing and torrenting
NordVPN price FAQ
How do I cancel NordVPN?
If you’re ready to cancel NordVPN, the process is easy. To cancel, head to your NordVPN account and follow these steps:
- Go to the billing section.
- Find the Subscription tab.
- Select Manage next to Auto Renew.
- Choose Cancel Auto Renew.
Is paying for a VPN worth it?
Paying for a VPN is really up to you and how you plan on using the service. There are free VPNs available with minimal features to protect your browser usage. However, these free options do not protect you as much as a paid VPN could. Paying for a VPN is worth it to make sure you have the features needed for your browser usage.
Is NordVPN safe?
Yes, NordVPN is safe. The service offers a variety of features that help keep users safe.
First, NordVPN does not keep logs of user data. The company is headquartered in Panama, a country that does not require data retention. In fact, the country enacted its first privacy and data protection law in March, 2021, which introduced measures to guarantee the security of personal data that a company might collect on its users.
It also has thousands of server options for better privacy and a kill switch feature to make sure that if the VPN stops working, you’re still protected.
Overall, NordVPN is one of the best VPNs and a great solution for all types of users. The broad set of plans allows you to pick a plan that works best for your needs. With NordVPN, you’ll gain access to many features which help protect your privacy when browsing the web. These features can also help you circumvent censorship from certain governments.
Determining what VPN is the best option for you depends on how much you want to spend and what must-have features are needed. As you look for a solution, understand what you need in a VPN and what extra features would be nice.
NordVPN offers a long list of features that can help protect your data. For the cost of NordVPN, you receive a lot of privacy features and opportunities to manage the VPN the best way for your needs.
- Loads of servers for multiple connection options
- Works with popular streaming services, including Netflix
- From $3.19/mo
- Limited-time deal on 2-year plan
- Too many confusing plans